DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

Dog licked pet friendly salt. Threw up and pooped. Now

Customer Question

Dog licked pet friendly salt. Threw up and pooped. Now shivering.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question, let me see if I can help. If the bag of ice melt that you used says "pet safe" on the label, then your dog will be fine. It probably tastes bad and may have burned his tongue and throat a little bit but it should not be toxic. Double check the bag label though. If the product contains calcium chloride or magnesium chloride, this can be dangerous to the dog. If it was just one lick, then again it likely just burns very badly. Try to encourage some water intake and you may want to give some Pepcid ac - 10 mg tablet , later on. If you think he consumed a lot and it was not truly the pet safe product, then you need to get him to an emergency vet today for fluid therapy and some bloodwork. Too much of the not safe ice melt will cause electrolyte abnormalities leading to dehydration and can be very hard on the kidneys. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 10 months ago.
Hi Renee,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Gronk. How is everything going?
DrMelJ