Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 1 year old Yorkie will not eat s dry food recently. He

Customer Question

My 1 year old Yorkie will not eat his dry food recently. He will eat human food if we give it to him but turns his nose up to anything else
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been fussy?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Is he drinking normally? Can he keep water down?

Will he take canned dog food?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Does he seem otherwise well?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The not eating started on Wednesday when we traveled from FL to VA to visit my mom. He had diarrhea one time , but no vomiting or gagging. He is drinking normally. I haven't tried canned food since we are snowed in right now. No belly tenderness of tightness that I can tell. He could have eaten something since he is a puppy but I doubt it since it started the next day after we arrived. He seems normal very active as normal. Usually when we are at home he won't eat during the day when I am at work but once I'm home or in the morning he gobbles down his food. He will eat salmon or chicken if we give it to him just not his own food (which is the same as I give him at home ).
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was debating about making him chicken and rice since it is bland and won't hurt his belly then possibly changing his dog food when we get back home. I just don't want him to get low blood sugar since he is so small from not eating
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if this has been a sudden onset situation with preceding diarrhea, then I do suspect his selective eating choices are based on underlying GI upset even without vomiting. Therefore, I do think a bland diet is indicated. Chicken and rice is perfect or we can use pasta in place of rice and alternative protein sources like boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). So, you can use any of those fed as small meals while you are snowed in. They will be light on the stomach and also help if the GI is having trouble absorbing nutrition fully and thus leading to the diarrhea we saw.

Otherwise, since you noted keeping his blood sugar up, if you do see him become weak. wobbly or lethargic you can boost his sugar by rubbing a sugar syrup on his gums. Specifically, we can use karo syrup, honey, glucose syrup or even pancake syrup. So, those can be used in a pinch as needed.

Finally, if we do have some nausea here, we could also use an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption.

Overall, this sounds like selective eating due to GI upset. So, a light diet and the above should be of benefit for the short term to help soothe his stomach and prevent a blood sugar crash while you are snowed in.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)