Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I was looking why a dog's urine may be thick/gel-like. He

Customer Question

Customer: I was looking for reasons why a dog's urine may be thick/gel-like. He was in quarantine for 10 days for accidentally biting someone and now that Ive picked him up he's lost at least 10 pounds of weight, seems to be sick, trying to urinate but just able to release a couple of drops, doesnt have any appetite
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is about 1 year old Australian shepherd mix, used to be about 70 pounds when I dropped him off at the vet hospital for his 10 day quarantine. Is it dangerous for a dog to lose so much weight in a week? I assumed he had a UTI but he spit out his food (a piece of steak!) and needs to go out to urinate every 10 minutes
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog is so sick. Based on your description, I am very suspicious that he has a bladder infection. This is common with stress, and being in quarantine for 10 days can cause that. Severe bladder infections can be extremely painful and I would consider getting him examined as soon as possible.

The best way to diagnose a bladder infection is with a urinalysis. Can you catch a little bit of urine in a cup or tuperware and take it with you to the emergency room this evening or first thing tomorrow?

Another, more severe problem, could be that his penis is partially blocked and he is not able to completely empty his bladder. This would be a medical emergency.

Does this help? Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I noticed that he seems to be licking himself more than usual so I assumed it was an uti for that reason. I'm calling to take him in soon I just didn't know if the acute weight loss plus the stress etc. could have led to something else. I'll make sure to get him seen soon. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome. Good luck to you and your pup! Feel free to contact me in the future if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda