Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a 15 year old husky that has lupus and possible

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, I have a 15 year old husky that has lupus and possible cancer, when i woke this morning I was rubbing his neck when I felt something removed collar and there is a huge hot spot I have pro topic is it ok to use on this hot spot or should I use something else. Thank you
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes he is a purebred Siberian husky 15yr of age that has lupus and possibly cancer. This morning I found a huge hot spot under his collar, he use to get these when he first got lupus in 2007. I have the ointment pro topic can I use this for his hot spot
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that your dog may cancer and has been diagnosed with lupus...and now has this new problem.

I have several suggestions as to how best to treat his hot spot but the short answer to your question is that I probably wouldn't use Protopic on him since this drug is something of an over-kill for this sort of skin problem.

1. First, I'd trim away as much hair as possible around the edges to expose the affected skin. You may be surprised how extensive an area is involved once you start trimming.
If you have mustache clippers, they'd be perfect for this job or they can be purchased at most dollar stores or even box stores such as WalMart.
Just take care since this area could be quite painful for him ; I wouldn't want you to become injured if this is the case so having someone restrain his head may be necessary.

2. Then, I'd gently clean the area twice a day with dilute over the counter Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea).
If you have something with Chlorohexiderm in it such as Hebiclens, that would also be acceptable.

3. I'd then apply a small amount of over the counter cortisone ointment which can help to reduce inflammation and soothe the skin.

4. If the area also looks really oozy or pusy, then I'd also apply a small amount of antibacterial ointment or cream such as you'd use on a wound for yourself.

5. A perfect product for this sort of skin issue would be Vetericyn spray which may be available at local pet or grain stores. I know it can be purchased online but this won't help you now unless you can have it shipped overnight. This particular product can significantly reduce healing time for hot spots.

6. If he's not currently taking any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory or steroid drugs, then he could be given Aspirin at a dose of 10 mg per pound of body weight, with food to avoid stomach upset which may help if there's any discomfort present.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your dog's hot spot. How is he doing? Deb