Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

What is canine pulmonary hypertension?

Customer Question

What is canine pulmonary hypertension?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 10 months ago.

Hi there,

I'm Dr. Karing and I would be glad to help with your question about Borchair. Pulmonary hypertension is high blood pressure within the arteries of the lungs. The most common cause is chronic lung disease but other causes exist such as heartworm infection or a blood clot in the lungs. The treatment can involve addressing the cause itself (if known) and also with drugs such as Viagra to alleviate the high blood pressure in the arteries. The prognosis varies depending on the severity and the underlying cause. An echocardiogram is needed to confirm the diagnosis. You can read more about pulmonary hypertension in dogs here: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3290

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Sincerely,

Dr. Karing

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is this a terminal condition or a limited life situation? What can I do to care for her?

It really just depend on how severe it is and what the underlying cause is of the pulmonary hypertension. Some dogs with pulmonary hypertension have a lot of trouble breathing and require supplemental oxygen while others are simply prone to cough a lot and have exercise intolerance. I think you will have a much better idea of the severity and what to expect after the echocargiogram is done. Until then, I would avoid stress where possible and avoid temperature extremes as well which are both taxing on the bodie's need for oxygen. Since your vet thinks Borchair has bronchitis, I would avoid any inhaled irritants in the home such as smoke, air fresheners, perfumes, candles, etc. If your vet suspects allergic bronchitis (allergies is one of many causes of bronchitis), then getting a special filter for your HVAC system may help:

http://www.amazon.com/Filtrete-Healthy-Allergen-Reduction-16-Inches/dp/B000H5R1IC

Please let me know if you have other questions.