How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19121
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cockerpoo ate 2 chocalate cookies should I be worried?

Customer Question

My cockerpoo ate 2 chocalate cookies should I be worried ?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Roughly how much does Lily weigh, { In pounds } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
23 lbs
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please reply by email
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Good news, it is very unlikely that just two chocolate cookies are going to have any sort of adverse effect on a dog of that size. You may perhaps see a mild transient bout of gastroenteritis purely because of the sudden ingestion of an unaccustomed rich food source, but even this is unlikely.

2. You see the rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 23 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 16.1 ozs { more than pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Also it is probable that there would have been other ingredients in the cookies other than chocolate.

I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. here is a link to an accurate article which covers the topic of chocolate toxicity in the dog in more depth : LINK

But the bot***** *****ne is that your dog should be just fine and there are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate cookies ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.