Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog is slobbering a lot and keeping s mouth open while

Customer Question

My dog is slobbering a lot and keeping his mouth open while awake. He has a good appetite and rest well. But I am concerned about this issue.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Rocky has been having some issues with his mouth. How old is he and how long has this been going on?

You are right to be concerned here, especially if this has been going on for awhile, as this is an unusual problem. My first concern would be that there could be something inside his mouth that's keeping it from closing like a foreign object, a mass, or a tooth that is deviated or knocked out of position. While something like a foreign object can be removed and the dog can go on living just as usual, and a tooth can be fixed, something like an oral tumor can be potentially life threatening. The odds of these different things going on depend on his age and his lifestyle, but only a veterinarian who is able to examine him in person will be able to tell what's happening in there. Some other oddball conditions that could be happening would be a neurologic problem or trauma to the temporomandibular joint. Usually a trauma is going to cause them to have difficulty eating, which is why I'd put it a little lower on the list. It's likely that you're seeing the drooling because he's not holding his mouth shut and not swallowing entirely normally. My suggestion would be to have him examined as soon as you can to get to the bottom of the issue. Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?
Doc Sara