Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is throwing up yellow gunk but not continuously. She

Customer Question

My dog is throwing up yellow gunk but not continuously. She can go a few days and not have any problems. I haven't changed her food or given her people food.
The vomit looks like bile/mucus. Sometimes her stools seem looser than normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Is there a specific time of the day when she usually vomits?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Is she on any medications?

6- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1-on/off got a month
2-about 60lbs
3-no set time
4-she has skin allergies
5-no meds
6-she seems normal to me :)
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing as she is not showing any other symptoms. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, infections, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that sometimes she also has loose stool I would place intestinal parasites high on the list of possible causes. This is what you can try:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 7 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- I would get her dewormed. You can buy panacur (fenbendazole) online (amazon.com) or local pet store, give once a day at label dose for 3-5 days. Repeat after 3 weeks.

3- Supplement with a probiotic like Fortiflora. These are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract.

4- Change her diet to a bland diet of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%). Divide her serving into 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet until she is no longer vomiting and stool is normal. Then, wean her back into her regular diet over a period of 1 week.

5- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination, xrays and blood work as initial screening test.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Colbie. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter