Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Dog has irregular ccups They last 30 second

Customer Question

Dog has irregular hiccups
They last for about 30 second
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 10 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

A hiccup episode once that goes away within 1-2 hours is okay, but nonstop hiccups is a signal there may be something going on internally to cause this. Some possible causes might include nervous system lesions, anything that irritates the vagus or phrenic nerve in the chest (e.g., pericarditis which is inflammation of the structure that surrounds the heart or another intra-thoracic lesion), abscess (especially of the liver), pancreatitis, and electrolyte abnormalities.

One thing you can try at home that often works to stop hiccups is pharyngeal stimulation (the pharynx is the back of the throat). You can use your finger or cotton swab to touch the pharynx. But please be careful not to get bitten.

Given the nonstop nature of this you need to have her seen by his veterinarian today as soon as possible. This may require a bit of a hunt to determine the problem, but well worth the search.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Vanna. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey