Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our five month old swallowed a naproxin tablet, should we do

Customer Question

our five month old ***** ***** swallowed a naproxin tablet, should we do anything?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If you are able to get me the mg of the naproxen and her weight that can help aid in me calculating the level of concern but naproxen is not a nonsteroidal we use in dogs so I would advise removing it from her system if at all possible to minimize at least gi upset but possibly liver and kidney changes as well...

According to the veterinary formula: Human NSAID. Highly toxic to dogs, cats, and ferrets. No longer recommended for veterinary use in small animals. DOGS: doses of 5 mg/kg may result in gastrointestinal irritation or ulceration; doses greater than 10 – 20 mg/kg may result in acute renal failure.

Naproxen Oral Tablets or Capsules: 200 mg (220 mg naproxen sodium), 250 mg (275 mg naproxen sodium), 375 mg, 500 mg (550 mg naproxen sodium)

So let's say this is a 200 mg and your puppy is 15 pounds (6.8 kg) that means that the ingestion dose was 200 mg/ 6.8 kg= 29 mg/kg and as you can see this can be an indicator of acute renal failure

So I would strongly advise inducing vomiting and even if she brings up the medication please consider a veterinary er to give activated charcoal to coat the stomach and prevent any absorption of any remaining medication. If there is no vomiting then it is even more imperative to get her to a veterinary er asap

I hope this makes sense and you understand the level of concern with this situation. Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with or clarify tonight

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she is about 12.5 pounds tablet was 220mg How how you dilute the peroxide to a 3% solution?

So my estimation is accurate for this scenario. Please do not dilute the peroxide as it will lose its effect. The over the counter brown bottle is a 3% solution (the other is the hair solution which is much more concentrated) you can use a dropper or a turkey baster to administer then walk her around.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** actually on a business trip but relayed the information to my wife, she is starting the administration of the peroxide now.

OK please do take her in to the er regardless tonight, this can be life threatening for the dose administered

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance tonight, you are all in my thoughts

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

I am online another hour if you would like to give me an update or have any additional questions. Otherwise I wish you both luck tonight in getting your little JRT stable

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on your JRT to see if you were able to induce vomiting last night and get her to the veterinary er?

I would love an update when you are able and if you found my information helpful then please rate with the stars at the top of your screen so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We ended up checking with the ASPCA pet poison control center, they had us double the peroxide to 2 teaspoons which induced vomiting. We were lucky in that she had also just eaten, and had a full belly. The pill was intact when it came up.

Oh that is great news, I am so happy to hear you were able to get it up without incident. Thank you very much for the update

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman