Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has a pink bump on the top on the paw right at nail

Customer Question

My dog has a pink bump on the top on the paw right at nail base, he started limping today and that's how we found it, it's a little smaller than a pencil eraser but seems to bother him ton walk but he let's me touch it and it seems kinda soft. Any idea what it is, can't get into the vet till atleast tomorrow.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he licking the growth?

2- Can you post a picture on this thread?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He hasn't been linking it and I'm trying to post a picture.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did that work?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Yes. thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I can't see the surface that well. But, it is not a smooth surface, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No its right above when the nail comes out of his paw
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the growth that you are seeing appears to be a sebaceous gland adenoma. This is a very benign type of skin tumor in dogs. I don't believe that this is the cause for the lameness. Other possible causes are: A soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury, a pinched nerve, etc.

This is not an emergency, he will be ok to wait until the morning for your family veterinarian to examine his leg and perform an orthopedic examination. Limit his physical activity to urinate and defecate on a leash. Do Not give over the counter pain killers as they will interfere with certain medications your vet may want to use tomorrow. He is going to be fine.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!