Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 10 year old 15 lb Shi Tzu that has cancer. I've

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old 15 lb Shi Tzu that has cancer. I've been told that people who have animals with cancer are giving it to their pets with a significant success rate. I want to give my dog some but have been cautioned not to give too much. I have a bottle of capsules that are 450mg each. The directions on the bottle are 1 capsule per day for adults. What dose should I give my dog?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Please tell me the ingredient in the 450 mg capsule.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tumeric 450mg. Gelatin, vegetable stearic acid, Silica, veg magnesium sterate. Those are listed as the "other ingredients "
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tumeric 460mg Tumeric Extract 50mg

Thank you. You're interested in the flavonoid circumin which is present in turmeric. We don't have any peer-reviewed studies supporting its use in canine cancer and so the best I can tell you is that it shouldn't be harmful if you want to see how it affects Scout. The suggested dose is 15-20 mg/lb daily or 225-300 mg daily for Scout. Adverse side effects are uncommon as long as you stick to the prescribed dosing recommendation. Reported side effects in dogs have included gastrointestinal distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea, nausea/appearing "dizzy", and, rarely, bleeding under the skin and hypoglycemia.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?!

Sorry for the delay. I just got back in. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I'm going to try it

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Hi Harry Short,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Scout. How is everything going?