Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My daughter's lab stole half a dozen mini sandwiches and

Customer Question

My daughter's lab stole half a dozen mini sandwiches and gulped them all down, including the toothpicks that held them together. Two days later, he's peeing randomly on the floor for the first time and vomited a little. Until now, he's seemed fine--pooping regularly and exercising. She'll take him to the vet this afternoon. Is there anything she could give him right now that could help the situation?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now the urinary signs don't fit with his recent gluttony. As long as there was nothing dangerous to the kidneys in those sandwiches (ie raisins, grapes, etc), then we'd really only expect GI upset or gut complications from the toothpicks. So, the vomiting fits with that but the urination issues are more suggestive of a non-related bladder infection or a possible response to the overfilled gut pressing on the bladder (though we'd expect that to wane as we get days past his eating this). Or if he urinates as he gags/retches, then that can be related to abdominal pressure on the bladder causing this. Still, if possible, it would be ideal for her to catch a urine sample from Jake to have his vet analyse for infection or possible kidney issues.

Otherwise, we can try to reduce the nausea and vomiting by treating with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once that is on board, she can also consider using a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut.

Overall, the urinary signs don't fit with his recent gluttony. Therefore, we'd want to catch a sample for testing. Otherwise, we can use the above to try to soothe his stomach until he can be checked by the local vet.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jake. How is everything going?
nekovet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)