Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My is unwell, lethargic, may have a temp, not wanting to

Customer Question

My ***** ***** is unwell, lethargic, may have a temp, not wanting to walk, looks unwell
I have dampened his head, feet and ears with cool,water but he still looks unwell, has been like it most of the day, has not eaten and has very little water, currently resting in the couch with fan going..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I understand that Angus isn't himself but his lethargy and anorexia are non-specific symptoms of illness and don't localize his problem. In these cases, his vet would need to perform a thorough physical exam on Angus perhaps including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and imaging in the form of X-rays or utrasound. Have any new symptoms arisen that might help clarify what's going on? In need you to assess his vitals for me so I know just how urgent it is that he be attended to by his vet...

Please check his gums and tongue. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia - lack of oxygen to his tissues).

Please check his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 40 breaths per minute at rest.

Please take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 4 cm into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 38-39.2C. This is a two -person job!

Please let me know what you find.