Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My chuahua has started bleeding out her rectum reason. She

Customer Question

My chuahua has started bleeding out her rectum for no reason. She isn't in heat it's her rectum!
When I went to wipe her she let out a bad noise like it really hurt for mr to even touch her back thereand she keeps liking it. What to I do till I get her into the vet tomarrow? She is 2 years old weighs 6 pounds. Please help me I love her so much! Linda
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 10 months ago.

Hi Linda,

Does it look purple, swollen or bruised anywhere around the rectum?

Haven't heard from you Linda, so just going to answer.

My concern, by far, is that Sandy Sue has a ruptured anal gland.

Anal glands are not visible. They sit just inside the rectum. Normally, they release this foul smelling liquid when a dog defecates. But, sometimes, they can obstructured and fill up so much that they rupture. It causes severe trauma in the rectal area, and the primary symptoms are seeing blood in the rectum or around it and trying to lick the back end a lot.

Many dogs will exhibit symptoms beforehand as well. Typically, scooting the butt on the ground or trying to lick the rectal area.

Absolutely, no further delay. This is worth an vet visit immediately. Nothing else to be done at home and I would imagine the back end is really sensitive, so I would not try to clean it.

Hope that information helps

Good Luck

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sandy Sue. How is everything going?