Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Having lower abdomen pain
, she keeps scratching right

Customer Question

Customer: having lower abdomen pain
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she keeps scratching right above her adomen.. can hardly walk. keeps passing gas.. small little yelps as tho she sin pain
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ya
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your girl isn't feeling well tonight - what is her name?

It does sound as though you're describing a dog with some abdominal discomfort. What worries me most is that you say she is having difficulty walking. How long has this been going on? Are you seeing any abdominal distention at all? Is she eating and drinking OK?

Thanks and I'll await your reply

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No bloating just a couple of hours.. she defecated once. I gave her 1/12 of a tsp of baking soda in some honey for gas relief. She is drinking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Less whimpering now..but still visible signs of discomfort
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update - I'm glad to hear that you're not seeing any bloating - my biggest concern in terms of potentially life threatening issues would be for a condition called GDV (aka "bloat"). In this condition their stomach fills with air and twists upon itself, which becomes life threatening very quickly. Usually dogs with a GDV are pacing, restless, unable to settle, have a high heart rate, and are gagging and retching frequently but often not actually producing anything other than saliva or a little fluid. Keep a close eye on her for these signs.

I've seen dogs act as you're describing with all sorts of varieties of stomach upsets - from dietary indiscretions (ate something that didn't agree with me or ate too much of something), infectious issues (think stomach flu), foreign body ingestions (ate an object that is stuck). I've also seen dogs that owners thought had belly pain that actually had spinal pain. This is because when dogs have a painful back they tend to tense up their bellies to guard their spine and keep from bending it. Spinal pain can be quite severe, causing them to yelp or cry and be unwilling to settle down. Spinal issues can also cause scuffing or dragging of the toes or weakness in the hind legs - so with your description of her having difficulty walking, I'd have spinal issues on my list as well. Unfortunately, without being able to do a proper physical examination on her myself, I'm not going to be able to narrow this issue down much further. If she is quite uncomfortable or having a very difficult time walking, the best thing to do would be to have her examined urgently at an emergency facility. If she's relatively comfortable or an emergency clinic isn't an option for your family, I would keep her quiet and continue monitoring her for some of those more severe signs that I mentioned until you can get her seen or she starts to feel better on her own.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)