Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog (5months boxer) has a diarrhea months now
, he

Customer Question

Customer: my dog (5months boxer) has a diarrhea for 2 months now
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he grows and seems to be just fine, he is active and do not vomit. Just diarrhea. I put him on panacur and rice diet, it improved slightly, buy when i stopped giving him rice it all came back. Now i give him grain free food and put psyllium husk in it and it became for gel like
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your young Boxer. I, too, would treat occult parasitism with fenbendazole (Panacur) daily for 7 consecutive days. If I didn't see a positive change, I would consider a hypoallergenic food trial. Please note that grain-free isn't necessarily hypoallergenic for him. The most common offending food allergens are beef, chicken, corn, wheat, eggs, rice, and soy. Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that his immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from his vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

If you didn't see a positive response to a hydrolyzed protein diet, primary gastrointestinal disorders such as exocrine pancreatic insufficiency - a lack of digestive enzymes produced by the pancreas, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and a specific type of colitis seen in Boxers - granulomatous colitis - need to be considered. A simple TLI blood test can check for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. IBD and colitises are confirmed by scoping and biopsy of his gastrointestinal tract.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.