Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

MY name is ***** *****. My beagle may have gotten into my

Customer Question

Customer: MY name is ***** *****. My beagle may have gotten into my oil paint turpentine that was in my car on the way back from an art class. It was several months ago. He is active but is now trembling around feeding time and shakes his head a lot. Could he still have effects from poisoning?..what can I do now?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The Beagle, traveling in my car, may have gotten into the turpentine that was in a bag in my car. I take art classes. He trembles now around feeding time and shakes his head a lot. Could he still be affected from poisoning? He is 12 years old and still active. What do you think this is?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

No, there's no reason to believe that turpentine ingestion would cause delayed symptoms of toxicity. Trembling (tremors) are a recognized disorder in dogs and senile tremors are a consideration at your beagle's age. These tremors may worsen with exercise/excitement (as might be the case at feeding time) and abate with rest or sleep. Senile tremors generally don't interfere with normal function and so are rarely addressed with drug therapy. "Shaking his head a lot" is unclear to me. Is this purposeful shaking as might be seen if his ears were bothering him or is his head "shaking" another form of tremor - a high-frequency "yes" or "no" movement of his head?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He shakes his ears. I have been administering ear solution. I have Ear therapy. Which is ant fungal antibacterial. Anti inflammatory. My other dog had a yeast infection in her ears. Are senile tremors related to low blood sugar. Or a nervous condition? Is there any vitamin or dietary treatment I can give?

Thank you for the additional information. Senile tremors are considered idiopathic (unknown cause). No supplements have been found to be reliably helpful but a variety of drugs have been palliative; they include the benzodiazepines such as diazepam (Valium) and a neurogenic analgesic such as gabapentin. There would be no harm in giving your beagle a generic vitamin/mineral supplement designed for the senior dog to see if there were a positive effect. One half of a kid's complete vitamin & mineral supplement daily is a good choice and a total of 50 mg of zinc daily should be ensured - between his regular diet, the kid's supplement, and a pure zinc supplement.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Karen Julihn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?