Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 1 year old chihuahua has been having a swallowing fit

Customer Question

My 1 year old chihuahua has been having a swallowing fit for the past hour or two. I thought it was hiccups at first but now I am very worried, each swallow is about 3 to 4 seconds apart. Occasionally he snorts at the same time he swallows. (He sometimes has snorting fits about once a month). He is very calm and breathing fine he is acting like nothing is wrong. He is drinking water and I just gave him a few pieces of food to eat and he ate them fine. I'm very worried, is this something serious?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He has a bit of stinky gas, but he is now sleeping and has only swallowed about 3 times in the past 5 minutes
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Now he is kind of snoring, he never snores.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Has he had any gagging, retching, or lip licking?

Had he had any hard foods, chews, or eaten anything that could have irritated the throat?

Any coughing or nasal discharge?

Has he always had snoring fits? Or is this a new feature for him?