How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19121
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Lost answer about Butter's eating chocolate please

Customer Question

Lost answer about Butter's eating chocolate please reconnect
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello again Mary

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Good news, this incident is unlikely to affect your dog very much at all, you see milk chocolate is amongst the least toxic forms of chocolate and it is very much a plus point that you have a larger dog. You may perhaps see a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea purely because of the sudden ingestion of an unaccustomed rich food source, but that about it, and the chances are that even this will not happen.

Basically that while chocolate can be toxic to dogs they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. I say this because :

2. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 77 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 54 ozs { More than 3 pounds } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. And in your case the chocolate was just a covering so things should be just fine ...

3. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

4. Here is a link to a very accurate article which covers chocolate toxicity in the dog in more detail : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.