Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 13 year old Dachshund has labored breathing and loss of

Customer Question

my 13 year old Dachshund has labored breathing and loss of appetite and is quite lethargic
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello Larry,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Larry,

Sorry to hear Baxter is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. What could be going on? : In my experience where a dog in this age group has suddenly developed laboured breathing and the other symptoms you mention I would be very concerned about the possibility of congestive cardiac failure, this is very common in older dogs. But also consider things like pneumonia or bronchitis. Also these sorts of symptoms can be related to a number of other disease conditions not primarily related to the heart or lungs. So quite a range of possibilities.

2. What to do about it? : Unfortunately there is nothing you can hope to do for Baxter under these circumstances on a home remedy basis, you would be best to have him checked over by a vet without delay. Even with congestive cardiac failure there are things that can be done to compensate for the disease and make your dog more comfortable sometimes for a period of many months, but whatever condition Baxter is suffering from it is a fair bet that prescription drugs of some kind will be required.

In the meantime all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured until you can get him to a vet. Sorry I cannot safely suggest any other course of action ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Larry,

I am just checking back in to see how Baxter is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his breathing problems ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Baxter. How is everything going?