Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Troxel here.
, Yes. DNA tested our mixed breed dog in

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. ***** ***** Troxel here.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. DNA tested our mixed breed dog in 2009 with not good results. Not much info found due to limited database (Canine Heritage). They told us at the time they'd keep her dna and could retest for a small fee when they add more breeds to database. Now they're gone as a company as is her dna. She has passed away so I was wondering if hair samples could be used (they're all over her brushes).
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that your dog passed away. My sincere condolences.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Hair does not contain DNA. A hair follicle might contain DNA, but hair that is shed does not usually have a live follicle attached; the hair is shed when the follicle dies or goes dormat. Also, the companies in the business of identifying breeds by DNA normally use a sample from the inside of the cheek and are not set up to extract the DNA from another source.

Let me know if I can answer anything else. I am sorry your dear dog is gone. Rebecca.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my answer. Was this helpful? Can I ca swer anything else?