Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has seizures and have been treated dealing with it

Customer Question

my dog has seizures and have been treated for and dealing with it for the past 11years, meds are phenobarb 32.4 mg (2 tablets) q am, (1 tablet ) @noon and (2 tablets) q pm also 1000mg KBR daily, 5mg diazepam ( 1/2 tablet twice a day).my question : last night he became lethargic which I thought was due to the valium, this am after relieving himself would not eat, complete lost of appetite (not like him) therefore could not get meds...could this be a system of kbr overdose????
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

A transient sedation (lasting up to 3 weeks) is commonly seen in dogs receiving bromides but, conversely, some dogs show signs of irritability and restlessness. If Baxter's dose of KBr were recently increased, overdosing should be considered. If his 1000 mg daily - quite a high dose for a dog also being administered phenobarbital (the usual dose is 7-14 mg/lb or up to 500+ mg daily for Baxter) - has been given for more than 5 months symptoms of overdosing are less likely. It may take up to 4-5 months for blood levels of KBr to reach steady state concentrations.

You must do your best to get his phenobarbital into him. Acute withdrawal of this barbiturate can cause severe withdrawal seizures. Please let Baxter's vet know what you're seeing. Diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests are necessary particularly in order to assess renal function because KBr is mainly excreted through the kidneys.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Baxter. How is everything going?