Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Had a cystocenesis done to my Yorkie to check. Blood in

Customer Question

Had a cystocenesis done to my Yorkie to check for diabetes. Blood in urine and took back to doc at VCA. Couldn't tell me the problem. after 14 hours there is still, what appears to be a large amount of blood, still present. What can I do until vet opens for business.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that you're seeing some blood in your yorkie's urine. How long ago was that cystocentesis? If it's been more than a couple of hours, that's a bit abnormal. Having said that, a lot of dogs who are getting a cysto done are doing so because we are investigating bladder disease that can also cause blood in the urine - like infection or stones. If it's a little blood and he is acting well otherwise, his gums are pink, and you're not seeing any other bruises or rashes, it's likely OK to wait until the vet opens. If he's very lethargic, he has any bruising or red splotchy rashes that are new, or his gums are pale, then I'd consider an emergency vet visit. Investigation of hematuria (blood in the urine) is usually accomplished by a physical exam with palpation of the bladder and prostate, X-rays and/or ultrasound of that bladder and possibly a repeat urine sample analysis if that urine sample was from more than a few days ago.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Hi George,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara