Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our Shih TZU has a corneal ulcer. The vet we saw 6 days ago

Customer Question

Our Shih TZU has a corneal ulcer. The vet we saw 6 days ago diagnosed it,cleaned it, added antibiotics and sewed it shut. It has exuded a clear fluid a couple of times since. The vet told us on the phone, that there is nothing else to do but to wait 10 days and see if it healed. If not, remove the eye. Is there any other course of action we could take immediately that could save the eye if indeed it has ruptured?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Unfortunately if the eye has ruptured then there is little that can be done to salvage the eye but if the eye has not ruptured and the cornea has a severe ulceration and it at high risk of rupturing then I would consider a veterinary eye doctor consultation. He can evaluate the eye likely without removing the sutures with an ultrasound and determine if the layers of the cornea are healing but also whether anything else should be done to prevent a rupture of the globe

CLICK HERE to a link for veterinary eye doctors in the US

I hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!