Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is passing large amounts of saliva and is wobbly on s

Customer Question

My dog is passing large amounts of saliva and is wobbly on his feet Pls help me
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both tonight

I am so sorry to hear your pet is showing these symptoms today...

The primary cause of drooling and licking lips is nausea in dogs. Other possible causes include an abscessed tooth, a foreign body such as a stick in the mouth, a mass orally, or ingesting something that is bitter or caustic.

So in this situation the ideal thing is to treat as if it it nausea because it is the most readily treatable condition and if there is no change in the next 12 hours a veterinary exam is warranted to determine the underlying cause and begin appropriate treatment. The wobbly on the feet can be due to weakness from the nausea but if there is any chance he ingested something this can potentially be an emergency

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours which is for nausea and stomach acid buildup
- Take a nice long walk which increases gi motility, reduces abdominal cramping and nausea but please no grass eating
- No dinner if you have not already fedto allow the symptoms to subside without introducing anything orally that might result in progression to vomiting
- Water only in moderation
- In the morning small frequent meals of a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken

Reasons to recommend a veterinary er

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am online another hour if I can be of any further assistance to you both today