Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I think my dog a corgi has a UTI. she keeps crying to go

Customer Question

I think my dog a corgi has a UTI. she keeps crying to go out. what can I do. I am just going in for my 2nd day on a new job tomorrow and I don't know what to do. I wonder if she will be ok until tomorrow afternoon. I'm looking for an emergency vet right now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello Carol,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Carol

I have worked out an answer for you ...

In direct answer to your question : The bot***** *****ne here is that although this is very uncomfortable for Olive if an uncomplicated UTI turns out to be the diagnosis as seems very likely then this is rarely a very serious sort of situation and in most cases you could safely leave it until tomorrow afternoon. The signs of a UTI which is a bladder infection in the dog would be some or all of the following :

1. Increased frequency of urination, this is typical they could be doing this every fifteen minutes in severe cases. Waking the owner up to go outside would be typical.

2. Discomfort or problems passing urine which could well cause her to lick her vaginal area.

3. The urine may be blood tinged or discoloured.

UTIs are common in the female dog and they usually respond well to a course of antibiotics but be aware that there would be other possible diagnosis such as stones in the bladder or more serious conditions { Happily this is rare }.

The best advice here is to have a vet check Olive over as you intend to do. However until you can get to the vet there are some things you can try, lots of owners use cranberry juice as a home remedy for cystitis in the dog and there may well be something in this. You could either use human quality cranberry juice or there are remedies for sale in pet stores which have cranberry as an active constituent. Another home remedy is vitamin C tablets which you would give on a pro rata dose rate basis between your dog's weight and the human dose, crush them if you have to.

Finally it would also be good to encourage your dog to drink as much as possible, say by giving her very dilute milk ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Carol,

I am just checking back in to see how Olive is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect UTI...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

.

Hi Carol,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Olive. How is everything going?