Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Days, my little dog has been upchucking a little of

Customer Question

Customer: For two days, my little dog has been upchucking a little of undigested kibble, and mostly clear liquid, mostly after drinking though sometimes not connected. The upchuck is clear but viscous/thick, like drool. I just read your list of suggestions.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She paces alot, has since I rescued her. We just spent a day with a bunch of other dogs in an unfamiliar back yard. She threw up twice there...and paced alot.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is she?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is she currently on any medications?

4- How much does she weigh?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Ten
2. OCD stereotypies, pacing in circles mostly, cannot hear well
3. Vitamins
4. She's about a pound overweight at 19 pounds so is getting less kibble than usual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5. The upchuck is sometimes yellow, but when that happens its a smaller amount.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, pancreatitis or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, I would recommend a hands on examination with family vet t rule out the above mentioned diseases. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter