Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a female and male german shepherd, he managed at 11

Customer Question

I have a female and male german shepherd, he managed at 11 months to impregnate her. I would like to know if there is any birth control for dogs so I don't have to have her fixed before her next heat. I might want to breed them in a year or so.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

Unfortunately, you experience is a fairly common one when a female is in heat and there's an unneutered male in the vicinity. Hormones being what they are, an unwanted or unexpected pregnancy is often the result unless there is physical separation between the two...or drugs are used to manipulate the heat cycle.

Cheque® Drops or mibolerone is a drug which has been used in the past to suppress the estrus cycle in dogs and was found to be about 90% effective in clinical trials. However, it has become increasingly difficult to find even from compounding pharmacies. After a bit of research, one source may be Diamondback Drugs in Phoenix, AZ. although there may be others.

I'm not aware of any other drug which would be safe to use and Mibolerone is really the drug of choice for suppressing the estrus cycle in a female dog.

As far as I know, there are no drugs which would work for the male; in most cases, we're trying to increase the libido, not decrease it.

I hope this helps. Deb