Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was just attacked by another dog and has a wound and

Customer Question

Customer: hello my dog was just attacked by another dog and has a wound and I was just wondering is it safe to use betadine on it to kill germs ? my name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well my mum was just walking the dog and another bigger dog just grabbed him around the buttocks area and shook him for about 2 minutes and now there is a wound with blood around it on his bottom i have a photo on my phone of it is there a way I can show you ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes i will wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How deep is the wound? Are the edges aligned or is the wound gaping open?

Can you post your photos so I can see the extent of the damage? To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sending a pic as attachment
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

Now that actually looks more like a graze then a full thickness skin would, so that is positive.

In regards ***** ***** the area, you can use dilute betadine (dilute it to a weak tea color) to clean this 2-3 times daily. Afterwards, we'd want to pat it dry and you can apply an OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin) to just facilitate healing. Otherwise, we'd just want to keep him away from the area. If its on his hip region, you can put a small pair of boxer shorts (turned backwards so there is a hole for his tail) on him. This will keep him from licking or scratching the area but is breathable so it will also allow this to dry out and heal after.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)