Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dog has had very bad diarrhea. She is a chemo patient. Vet g

Customer Question

Dog has had very bad diarrhea for days. She is a chemo patient. Vet g ave us umpire in ointment ups, 2%. Not working at all dog is like RAW meat in pain. Have to keep potty pants on due to diarrhea. I want to put on burn relief with aloe Vera and lidocaine. Is that ok?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not familiar with the ointment you mentioned. Was that a typo? As far as the aloe and lidocaine relief, that is usually safe to use on dogs topically, but I would try to use it sparingly and keep her from licking it. Licking it may cause some illness, but topical application is fine. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She has a vet appt Tues but will try to see someone else there tomorrow
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry typo ointment is Mupirocin ointment USP 2%
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please respond

Thanks for the information. The mupirocin ointment is good for infection, but it probably won't control the inflammation it sounds like she has. If she is in that much discomfort, the aloe/lidocaine topical should hopefully hold her, but I would definitely get her seen tomorrow. Let me know if you have further concerns.