Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I bought my dog a different kind of treat today and she thre

Customer Question

I bought my dog a different kind of treat today and she thre it up but now isvery uncomfortable and is shacking a little. Should I let it ride its course or try to give her something?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is vomiting and has abdominal discomfort. First, please remove water and all food. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. If she is actively vomiting even water she is becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode and try to take her on a leash walk if she is up for it which will help taper the nausea, reduce abdominal cramping, and help the treat that upset her stomach pass a little more readily if any of it remained in her gi tract

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in the morning

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting her comfortable

Again I know you want to give her something to relieve her discomfort but if she is still showing signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, gurgling stomach) it will only lead to further vomiting so keeping her without food/ water for a little while is the best course to get her comfortable short of a veterinary er to give injectable medications

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. I am online another hour if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I would love an update on how your little one is doing?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

I am online another hour tonight and look forward to an update!