Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I have a female Boxer 17 months old she has been suffering

Customer Question

I have a female Boxer 17 months old she has been suffering from itching I've had to two vets already which was very expensive one gave antiboctics the other gave pedisone both did not work,I bath her in selzune blue shampoo helps very little,change her diet to salmon no grain. She also had cortisone shots. Hoping you can give answers .
Thank you
Jackie
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Isabella. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.
Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Isabella is so itchy.

It sounds like you have tried several different things, but I have a few more ideas for you to try:

-has your pup been skin scraped for sarcoptic mange? This is a very tricky parasite to find, but if the dog has it, it will make them EXTREMELY itchy. The treatment is Revolution drops on the neck or Ivermectin. These both can be given without finding the mite as a "response to treatment" trial. Both of these are extremely safe so there is no risk in trying this.

-have you tried a hydrolyzed protein diet? This is where the protein molecules are predigested prior to putting them in the kibble so there are no large molecules for the immune system to react to. While a grain free diet sounds good on TV, grains are actually very rarely the culprit for allergens and it is usually the proteins that are the problem. Royal Canin, Purina and Science diet all make hydrolyzed protein diets.

-have you tried using dog shampoo such as a soap free shampoo? Human products are very drying to dog skin and not pH balanced for dog skin so they can throw the bacteria out-of-whack on the skin and make the itchiness worse.

-lastly, do you have good flea control on all the animals in the house, not just the dogs? Dogs with flea allergies will react with only one flea bite and become very itchy.

Does this help? Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Isabella tonight? How is her skin? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. Amanda