Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Gil
, Yes she is 10 years old just had a major surgery

Customer Question

Customer: Gil
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes she is 10 years old just had a major surgery to remove her spleen and a softball size tumor about 5 days ago. She is recovering very well and has a healthy appetite and is on tramadal, cephalixin and rimadyl. she popped the first day home but now it has been 2 days since she went.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry you both have been through so much the past few days.

It is normal for a dog to not defecate several days after surgery. The day of or immediately after surgery they defecate what was already in their colon but the combination of no food x 12+ hours, the opioids which slow the gut, and reduced activity can increase gi stagnancy and as long as there is no vomiting and eating well giving it another 24 hours is advised

You can encourage defecation by adding water to small more frequent meals along with fiber such as white rice and if there is no defecation by tomorrow afternoon please consult your veterinarian.

I hope this information helps, I do caution owners this is a normal phenomenon postoperatively but do understand your concerns this evening

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am online another 10 minutes tonight to assist you both

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman