Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

I just took my 5 year old dachshund, Sonny, to the emergency

Customer Question

I just took my 5 year old dachshund, Sonny, to the emergency vet for vomiting. We were at my regular vet's office yesterday and his films indicated a small foreign body. He got a dose of Cerenia and some IVF. Today, Sonny continued to vomit and the emergency vet's films show that the foreign body has become lodged in his pylorus. Sonny is undergoing surgery now. I've been an ICU RN for the last 28 years and want to know what I can expect post-surgery. If Sonny was a human, i would have slipped down an NG and decompressed his stomach long ago. Will they do that before opening him up? I hope so. His stomach is grossly distended and full of fluid, probably the bilious liquid he has been vomiting. Thank you in advance for helping me understand what he will come home with.
Kind regards, Susan
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am so sorry that Sonny is undergoing surgery, but you were wise not to wait & prolong things. The surgeon may indeed pass a NG tube to decompress, but this is not always necessary. With dogs, we can exteriorize the stomach quite well & once the stomach is opened, all contents will be evacuated along with the FB.

Sonny will remain on IVF & kept NPO for at least another 12-24 hours post surgery. Hopefully, he will then be offerred a bland, easily digested food & once he has an appetite & no vomiting, he will be released to you.

Dogs do remarkably well with these surgeries, especially if no resections need to be done. I think you will be quite pleased as to how soon he bounces back.

He will probably go home with antibiotics & pain relief for a few days. Once the skin sutures come out in 10-14 days, hopefully Sonny will stay out of trouble.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you & all the best that Sonny makes a very quick recovery.