Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I just got my Shih Tzu back from the groomers and s left eye

Customer Question

I just got my Shih Tzu back from the groomers and his left eye (the third eyelid) up at the top is swollen and red. I don't think it is cherry eye since this is at the top. He doesnt seem to be in any pain. I asked the groomer had she changed shampoos and she said no, His left eye is always red after grooming but goes away. This time it is swollen and red. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Cosmo. I suppose it's possible that a small amount of shampoo might have gotten into his eye despite great care taken by your groomer to prevent this from happening.

As long as he's not squinting nor keeping his eyes closed (which denotes pain and a vet visit sooner rather than later is recommended), then he may respond to over the counter medication such as ones which are listed below.
I'd recommend treating him 3-4 times a day.

The Systane products listed below can be used in dogs, but the ones with vasoconstrictors, such as naphazoline should be avoided. These products are labeled as "taking the red out" or for "red eye".

Duralube
Duolube
Lacrilube
Genteal PM
Refresh PM
Tears Naturale Nighttime
Systane Nighttime

Systane Ultra lubricant sterile eye drops
Soothe Nighttime
Advanced Eye Relief Nighttime
Hypotears ointment
Akwa Tears ointment

Continue to apply the cool compress as you have been doing 2-3 times a day for about 5-10 minutes.

If the eye doesn't appear to be improving (or worsens), then a vet visit tomorrow may be prudent.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Cosmo. How is his eye? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.
Hi Wanda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cosmo. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I took Cosmo to the vet First thing Monday morning. It came from strangulation/choking.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the update about Cosmo but how distressing that he might have been choked at the groomers! This is obviously quite concerning, isn't it??? I suspect that you'll be finding another groomer for him ...at least that's what I'd do if he were my dog.

I hope that he's responding to treatment, though, and that his eyes look greatly improved. Kind regards, Deb

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will be finding a new groomer.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Very smart decision. Deb