Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

13+ year old Lab is lethargic, has thrown up and just wants

Customer Question

13+ year old Lab is lethargic, has thrown up and just wants to lay on her bed. First noticed this late last night. She threw up 2X this morning.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- How many hours since the last time she vomited?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. We kind of suspect this, but no evidence. 2. None, besides being older. 3. 4. Won't respond to commands. Won't eat. She has drank water. 5. 5 hours.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the delay in response I had some technical problems at this end.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

3- Can you take her rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 70 lbs. Gums are pink. Don't have a thermometer.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by primary problems in the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, kidney or liver disease, pancreatitis, tumors, etc. to name a few causes. Her lack of appetite and energy are secondary to not feeling well.

In this case unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend a hands on examination by family veterinarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up in the morning with family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter