Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My name is patty my 12 month old shit zu has blood in s

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** 12 month old shit zu has blood in his stool when he completes his dump bright red blood comes out. he is also going to
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: no he is eating and drinking and is his normal self cannot get to vet all closed in this area he does pick up stuff from out side so I am hoping he swallowed a shell or some other weird thing he loves to eat paper do you suggest I get an exray
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I can understand your concern for your dog but in most cases, the presence of blood is secondary to intestinal irritation and nothing more serious than this. While it can be alarming, it doesn't necessarily have to be concerning unless there's a profuse amount of it.

The fact that he's otherwise acting like his normal self indicates that this isn't an ER type of situation...not yet anyway.

Possible explanations for the blood certainly could include ingestion of some foreign material which is doing some damage as it passes through his intestinal tract; other possibilities include viral or bacterial infections or possibly internal parasites.

If this were my patient, I'd suggest a bland diet of boiled, skinless, boneless chicken breast and boiled, 20-minute white rice, smaller meals throughout the day.

I might also consider a probiotic such as Forti Flora which may be available at local pet or grain stores.

I probably wouldn't give him any over the counter Pepto Bismol at this point but wait to see if this problem resolves itself pretty quickly.

I don't typically take an x-ray for acute problems of this nature although every vet practices differently. Paper won't show up on an x-ray although wire, bones or metal certainly would.

I hope this helps to reassure you about him. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your dog. How are things going with him? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb