Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Small dog aspirated some water while being bathed. Hacking,

Customer Question

small dog aspirated some water while being bathed. Hacking, but no apparent distress. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are his gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

As I have not heard back from you, I do want to leave my thoughts for your return.

If he has no breathing changes, nice pink gums, and is only irritated; then we can try some supportive care. To do so and reduce/soothe this cough, you can try giving a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here.

Overall, his lack of distress does suggest we have a mild situation. So, if he is breathing normally and not in distress, we'd just want to use the above to see if we can soothe the throat and stop the hacking. Of course, if its too severe to settle with this, then we may need your local vet to dispense a dog safe anti-inflammatory to just further reduce the irritation and help us settle this for your wee one.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)