Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My friend has a 3month old pit and he has not pooped all day

Customer Question

My friend has a 3month old pit bull and he has not pooped all day yesterday. He won't eat drink or lay down she is very worried about him but can't afford a vet. She does not know I'm doing this she is very upset!! Any suggestions???
Carol
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 10 months ago.

Good Morning Carol and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This condition is caused by the following:

Digestive disturbance from ingestion of foreign material
Dehydration
Side effect of drugs
Metabolic disease
Worm Load

The treatment is aimed at the cause but in general, laxatives can be given. Laxatone, a cat laxative available at the pet store can be given every 4 hrs to help slide the stool through. Dulcolax can be given at 5 to 20 mg per day. Lactulose is also a good laxative. If this is not successful, your vet may have to perform an enema to remove the stool.

It is important that this condition be resolved since , if it does not, your friends dog is at risk for a bowel perforation from this excess stool that is blocking a part of the intestinal tract.

THis LINK will explain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****