Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My pup 7months was diagnose with Parvo New Years Eve. Stayed

Customer Question

Hi Andy,
My pup 7months was diagnose with Parvo New Years Eve. Stayed in hospital a week and half. Been home 1 week now. He was perfectly fine until today. He seem very lethargic (but still alert) and not eating much. His nose is dry. Basically I'm very conce because this is EXACTLY how is was when I took him to the vet and he tested positive for parvo. My vet is closed and they have no 24 hour vet hospital around here. Any chance he's getting this nasty virus again?? I literally bleach everything in my home before he came home. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be able to help you this evening. Dr. Andy is not on-line this tonight.

The good news is that once your dog survives parvo, he has excellent immunity for life. There is no way that he can become ill from this virus again.

Unfortunately, I cannot promise you that he cannot contract some other kind of virus, but there aren't any that are severe as parvo.

Can you take his temperature tonight? Normal body temperature is 100.5 to 102.5 degrees.

Any coughing, sneezing, discharge from the nose or eyes?

Please let me know the answers to these questions so that we can make a plan for care for your pup.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for so immediate response Dr. Amanda. No cold symptoms. But he did get stung by a bee in the eye yesterday. Gave him Bendryl last night, this morning, and again tonight. The swelling has gone down a lot. He was still playful. And omg I just thought of something. My husband dropped a 1/2 of a percoset pill on the floor 2 days ago. And he thinks Munch (Pet name) ate it but was not sure.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Percoset will make a dog very sleepy if he ate it within 30 to 90 minutes of you noticing the lethargy. The amount of tylenol in this pill is not dangerous to a large dog.

Benadryl can also cause lethargy in some dogs so either of these medications could be the cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would love too but I just spent $38 for our session. Can't afford another $18 lol. But thanks so much for your advice. It's very knowledgeable. I will see how he does 2mor. If he's not any better I'll definitely contact his vet on Monday. Thanks again you have a good night.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Good luck this evening. I will be on-line tomorrow evening if you have any more questions.

On a different note, did you get a message that I offered you a phone call? If so, can you let me know? I am not able to accept phone calls, so this would not be typical for me to offer. If the website is offering, I will contact customer service about it.

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will do...and yes ma'am it offered me to switch live for $18 and a call button.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Ah, okay. That was the website offering additional services, not me personally. Most vets are not able to take phone calls anyway due to restrictions on our professional licences.

Thanks for helping me with this, I appreciate it.

Have a good evening.

Best regards,

Dr. A

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok lol. Thanks so much for your help. Have a great night!
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. :-)

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your puppy this evening? Any more lethargy? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr. Amanda, thanks so much for reaching out. He is doing a little better. Notice more energy today. Still not eating big amounts. But I guess that's due to just recovering from the virus.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update! I am glad to hear his energy level is improving. His appetite may not reach it's full potential for 3-4 weeks after parvo, so as long as he is eating daily, I wouldn't worry about it.

Have a great evening,

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! Thank you, ***** ***** a great evening as well :)
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

:-)

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Traneca Wright. How is everything going?
Dr. Amanda
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Good afternoon Dr. Amanda, Munch is doing GREAT. He's eating up a storm, gained all of his weight back, and went to vet Monday to finish getting his vaccinations. Thank you so much for reaching out. You are wonderful:)