Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your pup was playing with rat poison. Even if you are fairly certain that he did not swallow any, I would still recommend making him vomit as soon as possible.
You can give 1-2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide by mouth and he should vomit within 5 to 10 minutes.
If there is any bit of the poison in his vomit (it is usually blue or green in color) you will need to take him to the emergency vet tonight for additional treatments.
If the vomit does not contain any evidence of the poison, then you and he are free and clear and there is nothing to worry about.
Does this help? Do you have any more questions?
I will be on-line for about 30 more minutes if you have any other questions.
You need to make her vomit or take her to your local animal emergency room so they can make her vomit.
This is not optional.
Rat poison will kill dogs just as easily as it kills rats.
Do you have any baking soda at home?
You can mix a teaspoon of this with 1/2 cup of water and syringe feed 1 to 2 teaspoons at a time until he vomits.
Good luck tonight! Safe travels!
I will be on-line tomorrow evening if you have any more questions.
How is your puppy this evening? How was the trip to the ER? Do you have any more questions for me?
Ah, GREAT NEWS! I am SO glad that you were able to take her there last night. You really did the right thing. Thank you for the update. Do you have any more questions for me?