Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate part of a smoke bomb (kids toy) about 2 hours

Customer Question

Customer: my dog ate part of a smoke bomb (kids toy) about 2 hours ago. He has vomited about 8 times since. No longer vomiting food but just "foam." Should I take him to the emergency vet?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dog is a 1 year old West Highland Terrier. He is whining and vomiting. He had chewed and eaten part of a smoke bomb about 2 hours ago. He appeared to have spit up the "bomb" but is now vomiting "foam." Not to be gross but the vomit is more gelatinous. Meaning, when I wipe it, the entire particle is lifted as one piece.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Email or text is fine. Thx much!

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. " Should I take him to the emergency vet? " : On balance it would be best to have your dog checked over by a vet { ER or otherwise } as soon as possible.

2. The reason I say the above is that the ingredients of these smoke bombs can cause chemical burns to the stomach lining which could cause stomach ulceration or worse. The vet will be able to prescribe prescription drugs to help protect the stomach lining and other measures such as activate charcoal orally may help if started soon enough.

3. The symptoms you are now seeing may well indicate the the ingredients of the smoke bomb are indeed having an effect on your dog's stomach.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the smoke bomb ingestion ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?