Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 15 year old yellow lab mix had a upper molar dental

Customer Question

Customer: My 15 year old yellow lab mix had a upper molar dental extraction on Wed. and was give anti-biotics for 2 days after and Tramadol 1 to 2 every 12 hours as needed. She seemed fine after the procedure, but yesterday she vomited all her food and is gagging and trying to vomit now after on can of food. Is this normal?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am wondering if I should not be giving her any food until she stops vomiting / gagging? She is hungry and otherwise seems fine except for the vomiting & gagging.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

No, vomiting and gagging would not be normal. Since it has been 3 days since the molar extraction, it may not be related to that. Antibiotics can cause vomiting; have you finished them or is she still taking them?

Are her gums pink in color?

If her gums are pink and she has an appetite, this is probably not serious. You might just let her have liquids for the rest of the day and see if she keeps that down. If the vomiting and gagging persist, then you should have her checked out by her veterinarian. Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

How is she doing today? I hope you were able to see my answer.

Let me know if you have any more questions and if this was helpful.