Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a maltese dog 12 years old she has lost weight very

Customer Question

I have a maltese dog 12 years old she has lost weight very quickly and she has a very deep hacking cough, then she has very labored breathing and lethargic
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your maltese dog. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.
Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your dog. Given her history of heart issues and the description of her current condition, I am very worried she could be in congestive heart failure and she is suffering from pulmonary edema (fluid build up in her lungs as a result of the heart failure). This is an emergency situation and you should not delay in getting her into a vet's office, if your vet is open, then you need to find an emergency vet to take her in to see. Any time a pet has labored breathing it is an emergency. It is possible your dog may improve with IV lasix therapy and oxygen, but if you do not get her in ASAP, she could decline rapidly.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Here is an article on CHF (congestive heart failure). As you can see, trouble breathing, coughing, and weight loss are signs of this disease. http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/congestive-heart-failure-dogs