Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Why is my dog snuffling as if she has something in her nose.

Customer Question

Why is my dog snuffling as if she has something in her nose. This is new and has been going on for about a week. She is running a low grade fever.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

It would be reasonable to assume that her "snuffling" concomitant with fever indicates upper respiratory infection, in particular, a rhinitis (inflammation inside her nose). This is usually treated with a broad spectrum antibiotic for 7-10 days. What was her rectal temperature, please? Normal is 100.5-102.5F.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't know. A vet took it and informed me that she had a bit of fever. She is on an antibiotic but she seems slow to improve. She's been on it just since Thurs. so I guess I need to be more patient. Thanks for the info. Rosy is my best friend.

Thank you. Yes, be patient with Rosy. I want to see a positive response to the tincture of time and the antibiotic within the first week of therapy. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?