Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Does my 16 lb Pomeranian mix 4 year old dog have a serious

Customer Question

Does my 16 lb Pomeranian mix 4 year old dog have a serious problem? He suddenly became extremely hyperactive about 6 hours ago. He also simultaneously stopped eating, drinking, and won't play with any of his toys. He also seems to have some confusion regarding his spatial orientation. He's always been exceptionally well oriented, but now he just sits down and moves slowly backwards until I call him to come to me. His personality has not changed, but he will not lie down or sit still for more than 5 seconds. He did drink about 16 to 20 oz of beef broth late Tues and early Weds that had MSG as it's #2 ingredient (which we didn't realize until we read the label a few hours ago). He also got a hold of two to three Coconut Macadamia cookies about an hour or two prior to the start of his problems. Prior to this he has been exceptionally healthy and athletic. He is up to date on all shots. He did spend 4 days boarding @ our local Vet Hospital recently from Jan 1-4 and was somewhat hoarse from barking, but had no cough. His hoarseness went away about 3 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I submitted my question at 4:22 am. You said that 3 Vets were online and estimated that I would have a response in 8 minutes. It's now been 146 minutes and not one word from your "team". How can you HONESTLY over promise and under deliver so terribly! Your communication of the 8 minute wait time to me eas not only a joke, I believe that it rises to the level of a fraudulent inducement. You should be ashamed!
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Elec's behavior suggests ingestion of a prescription drug, metaldehyde (snail bait), bromethalin (rodenticide), or perhaps complex partial seizure. There should be no connection to ingesting MSG days ago nor is macadamia intoxication a consideration as that poisoning causes hind leg weakness, mild tremor of the hindlimbs, ataxia ("drunken sailor"), depression, vomiting, and hyperthermia due to the tremors.