Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My dog randomly started to run from room to room trying to

Customer Question

Hello! So my dog randomly started to run from room to room trying to hide in corners or in dark rooms but on the floor and she has her tail in between her legs and she is shaking. When I try to pull her tail up she freaks out and runs away from me. What do you think it is? Anal glands?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog is acting so strangely.

Could she have gotten into anything such as human medications, mushrooms or similar?

Could she have been injured in some way? Spider or scorpion bite?

Any diarrhea or vomiting?

Based on your description, pain of some sort is the most likely. Anal glands are possible, but they don't usually start hurting out of the blue. Other possibilities include abdominal pain such as gas cramps, or impending diarrhea, tail or hip pain, slipped disk in her back, and others.

Less likely possible causes include adverse reactions to medications if she got into human medications, hallucinations from toads or mushrooms or medications.

I would examine her closely to look for signs of external injury. If that is normal, I would watch her closely for the next few hours for diarrhea, vomiting, swelling of body parts or other abnormal symptoms. If you see any of these, I would consider taking her to your local animal emergency room tonight.

If there is nothing unusual besides the behavior tonight and she is still acting weird in the morning, I recommend taking her to see your regular vet first thing in the morning.

Does this help? Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has had no diarrhea, vomiting, or crying. She had really itchy skin and had been biting at the base of her tail for a while and the doctors gave me some shampoo that I used on her today but that was earlier, this starte happening aroundv9. She isn't shaking anymore she is calm but if she gets up she runs to then sits and has her tail between her legs. I live in an area that doesn't have emergency vet unless I want to drive two hours and pay $200 fee or I can go to my local vet in the morning I just don't know what it is. What I have been reading is anal glands but I still have no idea
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She takes benadryll every day for allergies
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Ah, I was just going to ask about benadryl. What dose are you giving?

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

What are you using for fleas? It isn't really flea season, but flea allergies only take one or two fleas to set a dog off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is on sentinel I think it's called and she takes 25 mg benadryll and she is 60 pounds
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Okay-

Sentinal is a flea birth control, and it does not prevent the fleas from biting the dogs first, it only makes their eggs come out wrinkly.

Benadryl can be given at a higher dose if you think that she is especially itchy. She can very safely take up to 75mg without problems. Do you think that her skin is painful or itchy in some way?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well she has always had sensitive itchy skin but she hasn't acted like this before. She is just laying down now and she keeps falling asleep with her head up but won't put her head down. I think I might just take her to the vet in the morning regardless for them to check her but what should I do for the time being?
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

I would examine her skin closely for signs of redness, swelling or injury. I would also try pulling and pushing on her legs and tail to see if you can find a specific spot that is painful.

Does that help?

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Lola this evening? Is she still acting weird? Did you ever figure out what was bothering her? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 12 months ago.
Hi Abby,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola. How is everything going?
Dr. Amanda