Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My name is ***** ***** and my dog weighs 90 lbs and takes 3

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** and my dog weighs 90 lbs and takes 3 50 mg tablets of tramadol twice a day my husband gave him his nighttime dosage twenty minutes ago and I just repeated the dosage.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: also doubled a 100 mg Rimadyl dosage at the same time
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: ok
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hello do you have an answer for me??? I can't wait much longer...it was a double dosage
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

The new dosing recommendations for tramadol are 2-5 mg/lb up to thrice daily or 180 - 450 mg thrice daily for your dog. Even the double dose tonight is within dosing guidelines. You might see additional sedation but he should remain safe. 200 mg of Rimadyl is a once daily dose for a 90 lb dog and so you should skip dosing him tomorrow with Rimadyl and return to his regular dosing schedule on 1/17.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so very much!!!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?