Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 9 month old hound puppy just chewed a plastic eyeball off

Customer Question

My 9 month old hound puppy just chewed a plastic eyeball off a toy and swallowed it. It's about two inches in circumference Should I make her throw up?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

There is a good chance that if she is >50 pound this will pass but it is simply not worth the risk. If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting:

1.) Feed 3 pieces of bread

2.) Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion

3.) In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through

4.) Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

5.) Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it passes on its own but if at any point there is vomiting (after tonight with the peroxide) then please consider a veterinary exam

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am so sorry if you are having difficulties with the site, you can induce vomiting with this type of foreign body for the first few hours in hopes it hasn't yet left the stomach. I will await any additional questions you may have

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online just another 30 minutes tonight if you have additional questions

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Ginger to see how she was doing after she ingested the eye from the toy yesterday. Were you able to induce vomiting? I would love an update when you are able...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ginger. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman